Sunday, September 21, 2008

8:00 P.M. CDT - I'VE GOT IRONING TO DO!!

We are still not exactly sleeping through the night. I have to set the alarm to give Kelly some medications during the night. Kelly told me this morning that she woke up last night when I was still sleeping, couldn't sleep, and decided to get up in the middle of the night to get some things done....you know, things that just can't wait until Marilyn or I wake up in the morning....like picking up some things in the game room, setting the cuckoo clock and ironing!! Yes, I said ironing. Kelly's back!!! First night home after her brain surgery, she gets her cane, and shuffles through the house cleaning and ironing. So, you can see, all of her friends are going to have to help her to remember she is still recovering, and needs to take it very, very, easy.


Also, she had lived with her unwashed hair for too long. The docs said not to wash her hair for ten days, which would be tomorrow. But Kelly couldn't take it any longer, and I have to tell you that I couldn't blame her. I hate to be so graphic with such a broad audience, but she still had quite a bit of blood from the surgery matted in her hair. So, since we still didn't want to get the incision wet (it is held together with glue and steri-strips, not staples like the good old days) we taped some plastic over the incision and washed her hair. She felt much better afterward.

She had a great day today. Ate better. Took fewer pain pills. Got up and around a little more. Sat outside beside the pool with Hank and Marilyn for a while. She is doing great.

4 comments:

Aunt Lisa said...

Come on Kelly- you are making us non-recovering from brain surgery non-ironers look bad! I do get the hair-washing though. I bet that made you feel 100% better. So glad you are feeling better. Take it easy though. Love, Lisa

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you are up and around! I am sure the kids are glad to have you home. I wouldn't worry about ironing. If you want, you can send it to Tulsa. Dad has always loved ironing everyone's clothes.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I'm so glad that you are home and spending time with your family. I love the picture of you and the kids. Your parents look great!! Charlie, you are amazing and thank you for keeping us updated with Kelly's progress.

Take care,

Karla

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, you, your children, and Hank and Marilyn look great. It was nice to show a photograph for it makes the relatives not feel quite so guilty for not stopping by yet, but we know you are not ready for visitors. Charlie I am sure you look great too, but someone had to take the photographs.

I am glad you told us about the hair and we are sure you were super cautious around the incision. You really look great Kelly, but we know you have a long road to recovery so save up that ironing for Uncle Don if you need it done.

Remember Kelly, you have a cast of family and friends that wants to help out so let’s not be running around at night when we cannot sleep! You need to promise me that or I will ask Charlie and the two Moms to tighten the screws a little tighter on your night owl walks……………

Love,
Uncle Don