Thursday, September 18, 2008

10:30 A.M. EDT - LAST DAY HERE

Not that much new today. Kelly has been up and around, eaten some cereal, stretched her neck muscles, and is now resting again, so I slipped away to the hospital to update the blog for a final time today. I probably will not be able to update the blog on Saturday.

One funny anecdote....to stretch Kelly's neck muscles, the physical therapist showed me how to place my hands on both sides of Kelly's head to keep her chin up and her head straight up and down, while she turns her head from one shoulder to another. Once she goes as far as she can on her own, I have to apply more pressure to stretch those neck muscles. Ocassionally, Kelly has mentioned to me that I was applying too much pressure, but I was barely touching her head. Well, last night we were trying to comb through Kelly's hair (what she has left) and I noticed a small screw-sized hole just above and behind her temple. We figured out this was one of the spots where they affixed (screwed) her head to some equipment so that it didn't move during the surgery. As you might expect, when I touch this particular spot, it was quite tender and explained why she thought I was applying a lot of pressure and I thought I was barely touching her.

Kelly and I are both anxious to get back home, but neither of us are looking forward to the trip. Kelly is not walking that well yet, so a New York cab ride, some wait time at the airport, a flight, a connection in Dallas, another flight to OKC, and then getting in the car and driving 40 minutes to the house just does not sound that fun to Kelly. We have arranged for special services to provide wheelchairs so she doesn't have to walk the airports, so that will help a lot. But, we would appreciate your prayers that the trip is tolerable for Kelly.

Thank you all again for your support, notes, cards, flowers and kind words, but especially for your prayers. We hope to see you all soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

I'm so thankful that you are doing so well and with each day that you are getting stronger! I hope that you and Charlie have a safe trip home tomorrow.

I love you Kelly!!

Karla