Monday, September 14, 2009

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

I can't believe it has been one year. My wonderful Aunt Lisa and Uncle Don sent me a cookie bouquet with cookies shaped and decorated like brains.

The purpose of this blog was for my husband to communicate with family and friends while I was in New York. However, I thought I would update the blog for those of you that have ACM and need answers for an upcoming surgery.

I feel SO much better than before. I am so grateful that I have had the surgery. HOWEVER, I wish that I would not have waited. I will always wonder if I would be better now if I would have waited. I am so grateful for TCI. Before my surgery I wanted to know what it was like after....

I can sneeze, cough, etc. without feeling like my head is going to explode. However, there is still a small, small amount of pressure in my head. It is not terrible...much improved. I try not to lift more than 10 pounds. When I do, I can feel it...BUT IT IS NOT TERRIBLE. I just feel the heat and the pulling, so I try not to push it.

Now my head feels like it is going to fall off. It feels better when I lift my head and hold it with my hands. This is not a huge daily problem. I mainly notice it when I am driving or riding in a car. I am pretty sure I may need to be fused, but I am in denial. I know I need to get back to New York soon. I try not to turn my head too much. Also, when I look up my neck hurts and I feel like I am going to vomit. So, I don't do that...

My family, specifically my husband, never makes me feel bad about my limitations and for that I am grateful. I have had the opportunity to visit with several people that get much worse because they went back to a normal life after their surgery. Well, I know how bad it was before surgery and I hope to never forget so I try be careful. I would love to go on roller coaster rides, dive head first into a pool, run, etc. but I have decided to not go there. I try to stay positive....and with family and friends like mine it is easy.

You are always welcome to call or post to facebook if you have any specific questions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I was recently diagnosed with ACM and am waiting to see the neurosurgeon. I'm 50 and have lived with symptoms since childhood. I'm so grateful to be diagnosed, it explains so much. Thank you again, your posts have been very helpful!