Thursday, September 11, 2008

KELLY IN RECOVERY - 5:00 EDT

Marilyn and I finally got to see Kelly (only for 5 minutes) in the recovery room. She is looking and sounding great. Even though still heavily drugged, groggy, and barely able to speak, she wanted to know how the surgery went and reminded me that I needed to be taking lots of notes. She also reminded me to call some people to update them on her status. She also mumbled "spelling test tomorrow" to remind me that one of the kids (I don't even remember which one) has a test tomorrow. When I told Kelly about all the notes, calls, and prayers, she said to tell everyone she loves them.

Staying in normal form, Kelly also mumbled "can you move me away from this chick next to me". The lady happened to be a loud New Yorker who had some type of bowel surgery and Kelly could hear her talking through the curtain. Marilyn responded with "they're going to move you to a room soon", which momentarily satisfied Kelly. But then, the recovery nurse blurts out, "sorry, we have to keep her in recovery until tomorrow morning to monitor her". I don't know how Kelly heard or processed this conversation since she was really out of it....but she mumbled, "oh no, just shoot me now". I'm sure that most of you can hear Kelly saying this.

We will be able to see her once again at 7:30 p.m. tonight for a short time. Then we won't be able to see her until tomorrow morning.

Please keep the prayers coming, praying for a speedy recovery, no infections and that she doesn't pull the plug on the poor New Yorker recovering next to her.

Charlie

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a nice laugh - thanks Charlie! lynne

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie be sure and get me the name of that steak place.

Aunt Lisa said...

Charlie, Kelly would be so proud of how well you are documenting the day's events. I remember you performed equally as well when you had to get about 8 sets of Bailee's footprints for scrapbooking purposes. Keep up the good work-we are with you all in spirit. Love, Aunt Lisa

amy said...

oh Charlie, great job on the note taking and updates. you make me laugh!!! kelly will be proud!!
(accept for the spelling test thing) :)
tell Kelly I love her and to get better fast.
amy

JulieFainPohutsky said...

I can breath again knowing Kelly is out of surgery. I love her sooooooo much and look forward to seeing her beautiful smile. Charlie - Thanks for the updates and please give her a kiss from her Florida family.

lace1070 said...

So glad to hear surgery went well especially since I will be headed down to TCI for the same surgery in December. I pray for a complete recovery and no more symptoms :) Hugs ~ Lace

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the update. I've been dying to know how it went. You all were on my mind yesterday. I'm laughing through happy tears of relief. Kelly, you crack me up. Only you would be worried about a spelling test during brain surgery. Keep up the great attitude and I'm so glad you have been at peace. Will keep you in my prayers.